Saturday, December 17, 2022

2022 Christmas Card – Christmas Day

With so many other, and often instantaneous, forms of communication that continue to evolve, this blog is becoming more and more irrelevant. Still, it offers me the opportunity to at the very least share not only my annual Christmas card, but sometimes to share some of the inspiration for the card, as well.

This year’s Christmas card once again drew some of its inspiration from retailers who start selling Christmas as early as June. As I penned the lyrics, I was suddenly inspired to examine how commercial many holiday displays have become. As always, I hope to somehow reflect some of the true meaning of Christmas… and possibly share my blessings and joy.

If you want an actual card from me, there are several ways of getting one for yourself:
  1. You could be on my mailing list, and simply wait for the USPS to bring you an old school card via snail mail; that mailing list is only ever growing shorter. Alas, if you're not already on the mailing list... that's probably not going to happen.
  2. You could connect with me at church (Eastside in Anaheim, CA) or bump into me around town (Placentia, Anaheim, Yorba Linda, Brea, Fullerton, etc.).
  3. You could send me an email requesting a pdf of this year's Christmas card, so you can print out your very own 2021 Christmas card (ink, paper, and some assembly required).
  4. You could forgo all the hassle of tracking me down or the laborious printing and folding chore... and simply experience the online version of the 2021 Christmas card, below:



Christmas Day

by David Alan Hoag - July 1, 2022
(sung to “Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)”)
(Apologies to Green Day)

You need to hang up lights, put fake snow on the lawn.
It’s all on sale in June, by August it’s all gone.
Your neighbor’s new display lights up the western sky.
Your latest Santa Claus is now two stories high.

God didn’t send a Savior down
To drive commercial greed,
He came because redemption’s what we need.

Angels sang “Peace on Earth”, a star lit up the sky.
A fearsome choir sang its praise to God on high.
Some lowly shepherds were invited to come see. 
The wisest of the wise came too, and took a knee.

That’s what we try to recreate
With holiday displays;
When God just wants our worship and our praise.

It's an amazing miracle.
God offers us a way.
I hope you see the gift of Christmas Day.

It's an amazing miracle.
God offers us a way.
I hope you see the gift of Christmas Day.

~~~~~~~~~~~

In a dark and uncertain world,
I invite you to embrace
the gift of Christmas for yourself.
Look past the fancy wrapping and 
shiny ribbons and bows to discover
A gift of Love, and Joy, and Peace!
 
I wish you a blessed Christmas.

Dave Hoag

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate your creativity and love for God, Dave. Thank you so much for the card. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete