Monday, November 30, 2020

2020 Christmas Card - Pandemic Things

Everything has been turned upside down this year. The COVID-19 pandemic has certainly been a challenge for all of us. Small wonder that something that has affected the whole world has inspired this year's Christmas card. 

If you want an actual card from me, there are several ways of getting one for yourself:

  1. You could be on my mailing list, and simply wait for the USPS to bring you an old school card via snail mail; that mailing list is only ever growing shorter, so if you're not already on it... that's probably not going to happen.
  2. You could connect with me at church (Eastside in Anaheim, CA) or bump into me around town (Placentia, Anaheim, Yorba Linda, Brea, Fullerton, etc.); with COVID restrictions, shelter-at-home requirements, and me being in the high risk category, that's unlikely as well.
  3. You could send me an email requesting a pdf of this year's Christmas card, so you can print out your very own 2020 Christmas card (ink, paper, and some assembly required).
  4. You could forgo all the hassle of tracking me down or the laborious printing and folding chore... and simply experience the online version of the 2020 Christmas card, below:



 Pandemic Things


By David Alan Hoag - May 7, 2020
(Sung to My Favorite things, from Sound of Music)
(Apologies to Rogers and Hammerstein)

COVID-19 is the latest pandemic
Turns out it’s more than a mild epidemic
Panic keeps spreading where ever fear springs
These are a few of our pandemic things

Brawny and Kleenex and all toilet paper
Flew from the stores like some vanishing vapor
Chaos while shopping and new rules that brings
These are a few of our pandemic things

We’re lacking of facemasks and hospital beds
Too bad there’s no shortage of slick talking-heads
Washing our hands ‘till our skin’s raw and stings
These are a few of our pandemic things

When I’m sick of
Isolation
When the world seems mad
I try to remember I’m flattening the curve
And then I don't feel so bad

Restaurants and grocers and all who deliver
Doctors and nurses and every caregiver
True precious angels all spreading their wings
These are the best of our pandemic things

Masks now in public and six-feet of distance
Neighbors help others and offer assistance
Nights when it seems the whole neighborhood sings
These are the best of our pandemic things

Most churches in lockdown are still doing fine
With programs and services streaming online
God finds a way through whatever life brings
These are the best of our pandemic things

When I’m sick of
Isolation
When the world seems mad
I pray and give thanks that I’m flattening the curve
And then I don't feel so bad

--------------

As the world experiences a time like no other,
I pray that you see past the fear and the chaos,
and discover the promise of Christmas…
a life embracing the message of Jesus.

I wish you Love, Peace, and Joy! Merry Christmas!

Dave Hoag

No comments:

Post a Comment